The Crisis that Never Happened?

A few months ago everyone around me who was working with vulnerable young people seemed to be gearing up for a mental health crisis. Floods of referrals would be needed, and who was set up for online consultations? Home visits? Who’s in charge of the trauma recovery programme? Now, from where I’m standing, it feels as if the crisis we were expecting never, really... happened. Or at least hasn’t happened yet. Why?

Landscape #5 by Fabienne Monestier

15 years ago, on the day of the 7/7 bombings, I was working in a large hospital a couple of miles away from Tavistock Square. Please, don’t clap for me. I was an accounts administrator in the private outpatient wing. Anyway, my lasting memory of this day is of all these consultants tearing away from their private consultations, donning scrubs (it was the first and last time I ever saw them wearing scrubs) and milling around near A&E. Ready and, heroically, waiting. For patients that never arrived. The number of people injured turned out to be low enough so that the hospitals nearer to the scene could accommodate the vast majority of them. It was surreal. We all stood and watched as a few people came in with minor injuries, were treated by senior consultants who soon remembered how important they were and palmed their patients off onto a nearby nurse. Normality resumed.

Right now, this scene keeps coming back to me.

It’s early April and Zoom meetings are being called all over the place. Clinical psychologists, educational psychologists, trauma practitioners, art therapists, music therapists, play therapists, emergency mental health practitioners, popping up in all corners of my laptop screen like an enthusiastic army of pixels waiting to help. Plans were put in place. I was responsible for passing on mental health referrals to the appropriate service. Except, I couldn’t find as many as I thought I might. There were a few, of course, but less than in a normal month. I was emailing students, parents, phoning home, sending them messages through Google Classroom, probing all the time, until eventually I sat in front of my CAMHS link clinician, waited for him to stop buffering, and told him that on the whole they seemed… fine.

The children from supportive, comfortable and well resourced homes remain comfortable and supported. And the children from homes where they have had to endure difficult situations have developed strategies for dealing with difficult situations. This is what I have learned. Everyone has to some extent developed skills for avoiding difficult or painful feelings, such as shame, inadequacy, guilt. They might involve ways of avoiding work. Or avoiding people. Or avoiding thinking about the future. Avoiding thinking about the past. Whatever they are, these well-rehearsed, well developed strategies have been just as easy to implement during lockdown as they were when they were at school, if not easier.

My kids who use work avoidance as a self-defence strategy have been able to utilise this magnificently in an environment in which literally none of their teachers are able to meaningfully challenge them on their lack of work. I'm delighted by how well my autistic students seem to be doing. I was worried about their loss of routine, but they've of course just replaced them with routines that suit them better, surrounded by people and things that offer them greater solace than they ever really found at school. Those who work better when allowed to work at their own pace have truly been able to do so. Difficulties with peer relationships? Scared of social situations? Behold your Elysian Fields!

Aérienne by Muriel Napoli

I don't want to sound flippant. There are those I know who have had to endure homes where domestic violence is a constant background noise. Those who have wanted to come back to school as soon as possible for the reprieve that we offer. There are also those who, tragically, have suffered bereavements during the school closures. All these students deserve as much help as they can get, and at my school they are receiving as much as we are possibly able to give them. But the number of mental health referrals is down year on year. And, like over-dressed consultants waiting in A&E, it feels like the crisis that hit is just a bit smaller than the one we had prepared for.

Which on one hand is wonderful news. Kids are better able to cope with these things than we thought? Perhaps. But in the back of my mind lurks another, more depressing possibility. That mental health difficulties are, on balance, more likely to arise when schools are open than when they are not. That the place where I dreamt of students finding a cure for their difficulties, may be the very place making them sick in the first place.

Because school is a place not only where their coping strategies can’t always be utilised, where avoidance strategies can’t be implemented as easily. But it is a place where children are often, too often, forced to confront their feelings of inadequacy, of shame. Where weaknesses and vulnerabilities might be exposed any minute. School serves as a space in which the realities of society, as it is, clash painfully with their versions of how they would like life to be. It sometimes feels like it's our job, as teachers, to shatter their illusions. To wrench them away from the fantasy worlds into which they are so fond of retreating the moment they are given time to themselves. Little wonder they hate us for it.

There Is No Place Like Home I by Beate Garding Schubert

People all over my edutwitter feed have rightly been celebrating how well the kids seem to be thriving since coming back. It’s wonderful to read. Vertical tutor groups, older kids supporting younger. Talking about feelings. They’ve been great on the whole. But the elephant in the room is that they’ve been great because we haven’t been putting them under the same level of academic pressure as normal. No-one's asked us to, and for once no-one's really expecting us to.

Over the last ten years, I’ve watched as increases in mental health difficulties amongst our student population have closely tracked the increase in pressure put on senior leaders to compete for ever improving results. The causal chain is clear enough; stresses and anxieties are transmitted down to classroom staff, and then onto the children themselves. With Ofsted, and staff appraisals, temporarily suspended, this has obviously not been happening these last few months.

But in September these cycles will start up again. The Zoom windows will close, doors to SLT meeting rooms will re-open, and exam results, Ofsted, performance targets, will all be discussed once more. That, perhaps, is when the crisis will really hit. Or rather, the crisis that has been building over the last ten years will resurface, with even greater potency. Six months of “home learning” will leave many of our students with rather cold engines. It’s going to take some efforts to get them started again. Many, I fear, won’t fully be able to. I suspect that the transition towards school opening will be more traumatic than the one that saw their closure. We'll see. Either way, come September I just hope all those mental health practitioners will still be scrubbed up and ready to go.

Comments

  1. Hello Adam, Exactly what I observed in 17 years practice in high schools. We are manufacturing pathology...we need not...

    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/sustainable-schooling-nathalie-bethesda/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry. This hasn't been my experience at all. My daughter is 11 and has autism and pathological demand avoidance. School has been difficult and school refusal has been an issue. Her mental health has suffered in school. However, her mental health has continued to suffer during lockdown, despite not having the pressures of school work and social interactions. It got to crisis point but because I am shielding I was afraid to take her to A&E. In one instance, I couldn't get her back in the house late at night and CAMHS' response was to call the police. In the end, a neighbour supported me. I have been begging for support from CAMHS, from Early Help, from social services, but we keep getting ping ponged about. The family support worker said that we needed more support than what they could offer. Social Services said that they think we can be supported by early help and the family support worker. CAMHS don't call back. The GP just keeps increasing the dose on the tablets. The only support she gets is from Young Carer's, but her key worker has 800 families on her case load. I don't know where this army of support is because we haven't seen it. I know that I am not the only one and other mothers have complained about accessing mental health services. So please, please let me know how I can get access to help because we are desperate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Emily,

      I'm genuinely sorry to hear about the difficulties you've been having. And, in light of your experiences, I'm also sorry if I sounded overly dismissive at times in my piece. I really do appreciate that there are lots of people who have had an extremely tough time of things since schools closed. And I also completely recognise the feeling of being 'ping ponged' about between the different services. Systems also vary hugely between different local authorities, so unless you happen to be an Islington resident I'm afraid I'm probably not going to be much help.

      What I would say is this. Chase after that person who's really committed to helping people, and who is willing to go above and beyond to take your side. And who is willing to persevere even when things get tough, rather than just refer you onto another agency. This person could be someone from within the school, or social services, or a mental health professional. They are rare, but they are out there and they are worth their weight in gold. Each LA will have an independent SEN advice service - they might be able to point you in the right direction, find you an advocate who can help you push for the things you're entitled to. The National Autistic Society (NAS) have also been really helpful in the past, I've found. Does your daughter have an EHCP? If you can find someone who knows a little bit about the legal side of things, this can help open doors. Don't be afraid to push for what you need. And don't be afraid to let your local MP know that Young Carers and CSC are too overwhelmed and overstretched to help. If people stop shouting, the people at the top will stop listening. You've already done the right thing by commenting here, because at the end of the day it's all about getting your voice heard. And look for people in similar situations - your voice will be even louder if you're part of a group. Have you checked out the PDA society? They seem to have a support group. At the very least it is really important to be able to vent every once in a while with other people who know what you're going through, and to remind you that you're not alone.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it. I am already working with SENDIAS to try to get EHCP'S for both my kids (I have a 14 year old son with Asperger's as well). I am in touch with my MP and he is looking into the EHCP issue as the council has refused to assess again. I won't go into the details but let's just say that we have struggled getting support for both kids all through school, I think partially because neither have behavioural issues.

      I think I have reached the end of my tether. I am trying to reach out to whomever I can. Covid doesn't help, but these issues existed before March. My big concern is getting my daughter back to school in September. My son is happy to attend school but my daughter is terrified. She even wakes me up in the middle of the night to tell me all her worries about school. Hopefully, there will be support but I am not holding my breath.

      Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

13 Julia Donaldson Stories - Ranked and Reviewed

The Problem with prioritising Knowledge and Mastery in schools... or How Inclusion Will Save the Planet!